Since the very first round of the 2014 Super Rugby season, my intention has been to do a weekly ‘Super Rugby Top 5’ column. If you are a regular visitor to Pink Rugby, you will notice that we’re six rounds in and there isn’t even the slightest hint of ‘Top 5’-ness.
I am here to rectify that matter, and promise that from now on you will get my weekly insight into what constituted the ‘Top 5’ moments, players, wins, losses, etc etc etc, from the latest round of Super Rugby.
Because we are already six rounds into the competition, I thought I would do a broader ‘Top 5’ for this article, focusing not on the latest round, but on the previous six rounds, and focusing on specific categories, rather than just a general ‘Top 5’.
Top 5 players:
- Israel Folau – 8 tries already this season, is there no stopping this man?
- Ryan Crotty – the ONLY stand out player in the Crusaders backs thus far, AND he has an awesome beard, now known as the #beardofawesome.
- Marnitz Boshoff – has made dropgoals cool again! He has made SIX so far this season alone! His kicking stats are amazing, boasting a 93% success rate.
- Malakai Fekitoa – has been one of the stand out players in the Highlanders season so far, is developing a phenomenal 2nd five / center combination with Shaun Treeby
- Scott Higginbotham – people call Richie McCaw ‘Captain Fantastic’, but even I, a staunch Crusaders and All Blacks fan, can admit that Higgers is doing an amazing job as captain of the Rebels! They may not have recorded as many wins as they would like, but it is not due to bad captaincy!
Top 5 unexpected outcomes:
- Matt Todd v Richie McCaw battle for Crusaders #7 jersey – this was a much hyped battle in pre-season… AND THEN Richie McCaw broke his thumb and was sidelined for two months. Battle over.
- The Western Force – they’re a force to be reckoned with! Three wins from five games, including a win over the Chiefs, which is a feat no other team have accomplished so far this year!
- The Honey Badger – Nick Cummins has suddenly reached cult status! No highlights reel is complete without a hilarious quote or two from the Honey Badger!
- The Highlanders – ARE WINNING!!!
- The Lions – relegated at the end of the 2012 season, they are now winning and I don’t think anyone is going to look at them as an ‘easy’ team to beat. I am doubtful they will be in the bottom two of the South African conference, come the end of the season.
Top 5 unexpected results and margins:
- Western Force beating the Chiefs – and keeping them tryless (2pts).
- Waratahs beating the Reds – not so much that they beat them, but that it was by such a big margin (27pts).
- Hurricanes beating Cheetahs – and by such a huge margin after weeks of losses (33pts).
- Western Force beating the Melbourne Rebels – again, it wasn’t so much that they won, but that it was by such a big margin (25pts).
- Melbourne Rebels beating the Cheetahs – I don’t know that it was a surprise that they won, but it was perhaps a much larger margin than anyone would have expected (21pts).
Top 5 Nick Cummins quotes:
- “I was busier than a one armed brick layer in Baghdad”
- “I’ve gone up and over and head over bloody biscuit”
- “… the ball popped up on the right here and the boys were all over it like seagulls at a tip”
- “I got a couple of knocks and a whack on the schnoz”
- “I was busting for a bit of meat in this game”